Thursday, June 30, 2011

6/29/11 Hawaiian Pizza

I ask you. Who couldn't love this face?
Or this one?
Perfection. Softness. Sweetness. Intelligence. Fun. With little rubbery ears and nose.
Although, the difficulty is that she won't eat hardly anything.
Sometimes, she will eat pizza. So that is what I made tonight. Hawaiian Pizza.
First, the sauce. One can each of crushed tomatoes & tomato paste, Italian seasoning, & garlic. Note that I am preheating the oven to 400.
I always feel bad for salt & pepper. I forget to mention them. And I forgot the olive oil too in this case. So here's the sauce, along with those key ingredients.
I made the dough for the crust in my bread machine. I followed the recipe. I am not impressed. The crust is kind of doughy instead of stretchy and crusty the way pizza crust should be. I am not sure what is amiss. But anyway, here's the bready dough with some of the delicious sauce on it.
A lot of recipes call for a greased baking surface, or sometimes for pizza or breads, a surface with corn meal. I usually use flour. It keeps everything from sticking, and I find that isn't always the case with oils. Even on metal surfaces. I could/would use corn meal, but the corn meal I have is a little too coarsely ground to crunch with your teeth while munching down a slice of pizza. Flour works great.
It got chopped ham, olives, crushed pineapple, a little feta (just because I had it)
Mozerella cheese (did I mention that I love cheese? There is also grated parmesean in the crust) and a little crushed red pepper flakes. Ready for the oven (400 for 25 minutes).
There was enough sauce to save half of it and put it in the freezer for next time.

And here it is out of the oven! I think a lot of pizza recipes say they will be done in 18-20 minutes but at high altitude it takes longer for things to get to temperature. And I suspect my oven may be on the cool side. It could have even cooked longer, but we were hungry and the temperature in my house was approaching 82 degrees. Ick. I meant to do this one on the BBQ but I forgot until it was too late.
It was good, but I would like to find a better crust recipe. I like that chewy crust that has big holes in it and appears to be very elastic. But I haven't found that recipe yet.
After dinner, Audry amused herself by drinking water from daddy's glass
And eating the ice.
And spitting the ice back in the glass.
Such talent.