Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 24, 2011: Bean & Cheese Burritos

Funny thing about Colorado is that spring is basically a milder, slushier version of winter, and then June hits and BAM it is summer.

Audry and Omar were out on the porch coloring.... 
mostly on Audry. 


I wanted to make something simple. I didn't have any re-fried beans, so I started in the afternoon making those.

I rinsed a couple cans of pinto & red beans.

And put them in a pan
with some oil (not shown), salt, garlic, & serrano pepper.

Today I just put the serrano in the garlic crusher with the garlic. That worked pretty well.
I mashed up the beans with a potato masher
and added in a little bit of water (slowly) to get the right consistency.
And voila! Refried beans sans lard. (How is spell check not correcting sans but it is correcting refried?)
Meanwhile Audry was playing with her babies.
Tucking them in their dishtowel beds. Night night babies!
Precious.
Then she decided to help me rearrange my kitchen.
So big and helpful!
Then Willy came home. And we fed Audry something that she would eat- probably yogurt becuase she didn't want to eat beans even though she used to eat beans. Then we put her to bed and then Willy said, "Do you want to detail your car?" And I said, "YES!" So we did. And then at 9pm we ate. I was RAVENOUS like a wolf to cook these. But at least my car was clean for once.
Here's how I did it.
Spread beans, sour cream cheese & a little spicy sauce (I used tapatio) on the tortilla.
Roll them into cute little burritos
Pan fry in butter over low temps so the beans get hot & the cheese melts but you don't burn the outside. (We never did this step when I was a kid, but Willy showed me this trick after we got married- delish! But then again, what isn't good panfried in butter?)
Oooh baby, yummers.