Thursday, June 30, 2011

6/28/11 pork chops with peach glaze

The pork chops we had last week were soooo good. I decided to make some more. Different recipe this time.
First I made a glaze that could sit in the fridge for a while. It was made of peach preserves (about a cup), Worcestershire sauce (a teaspoon or so), a little chili sauce (next time I would leave it out, but I used about a half a teaspoon), & salt.
Meanwhile, Audry was coloring on some butcher paper that Auntie Heather gave. So serious.
That all got blended in my Magic Thingamajigger and stuck in the fridge.
Next I got the chops ready. These are boneless sirloin chops. I mixed up ginger, paprika, (heavy on these), a little thyme, a little itty bit of cinnamon, a little garlic, a little salt & pepper.
These all went in a big bag with the chops & I shook it all around until the chops were all coated and looked yummy. That went in the fridge for later too.
Finally, Audry and I went outside to go play on the hammock. Will just put it up yesterday and it has become Audry's new favorite place to be. Here are some moments.
I love being able to spend so much time with my baby! 
When it was time to cook dinner we went back in the house. I started with some green beans for a side dish. 
I had some bacon in the fridge, and well, the only thing yummier than cooking in butter is cooking in bacon. So I chopped up a couple slices and cooked those. 
Don't worry! I poured off the better part of the grease before the next step! Adding in the beans and squeezing the juice of a lemon over all of it. 
I added some salt, put it in a dish and set it to the side with foil over to stay warm. I used the same pan to cook the meat. First I browned the chops on both sides, about 2 minutes, to sear in the juices of the meat. 
What you're left with after all this cooking is a pan full of sticky stuff on the bottom that you really don't want to have to scrub off. But never fear! That stuff is YUMMY and that is what deglazing was invented for. 
I used some super cheap-o white wine. I think it was like $3.99 for the bottle, which means if I had bought it in California I might have been able to find it for $.99. 
Whenever I deglaze with white wine, I smell the amazing scent and think, what a good idea! 
Then I added the sauce back into the pan
and cooked the chops the rest of the way, about 8 minutes per side. They weren't super overdone, but I could have probably taken them off before. They weren't really thick. 
So then, here, my friends, is our dinner. The extra glaze is in the little poury thing there if anyone wanted extra. And we did. 
I could have made some kind of grains or rice to go with this to finish it off, but .... I didn't feel like it, and we had spaghetti yesterday.