Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sun 6/19/11: Cheese Waffles!

Pretend yesterday is some fabulous meal that I put up here. I had ice cream and beer for dinner... long story. Not recommended. Baseball game involved. But our team won and Will and I had a night out together.

Tonight though, we had cheese waffles!

Audry loves waffles. I was making lots and lots and lots of waffles for breakfasts, and my old little waffle iron finally died. Poor waffle iron! So today while we were out, we went and bought a new waffle iron. This time, we got a Belgian one that makes 4 smallish waffles at a time, just nearly enough for everyone all at once, and then we can put in a second batch for seconds. Much nicer.

I had a different plan for dinner, but Willy said, how about waffles for dinner? So that is what we had- cheese waffles with peach jam. Yum. And filling. And Audry ate it. (yay!) Well, she ate some of it.

I am not sure where I got this recipe, but here it is:
2 cups of flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup grated cheese of your choice
Mix the dry ingredients. Separate the eggs and add the yolks to the dry mix along with the milk & butter & cheese. Beat the egg whites until they form peaks and fold them in- don't mix too much.


I don't have baking powder, so I did something like 3 tsp baking soda & 1 tsp cream of tartar.
I also had to add more milk to make the batter what looked like the right consistency.
Furthermore, my egg whites didn't want to beat. No idea why. They just got kind of frothy instead of forming peaks and stuff.

But we put them in the waffle iron and as you can see (I hope! My first attempt at real pictures) they came out just fine:

And Audry joined us for dinner- even eating some bites. Here is my darling, eating a cheese waffle:
Everyone left happy.