Thursday, June 9, 2011

Some things I missed about summer

I really missed the smell of fresh cut grass in the sun. I love it when I am out driving my car with the windows down (windows down!) or walking in the neighborhood and someone just cut their grass. I could just stand there and breathe for a little while.

And fresh basil. When I walk past the basil plants in the grocery, I nearly faint, and when it happens outside in the sun in a garden, I have to stop & just inhale. Ahhhh, fresh basil is the smell of summer.

To go with that is the smell of tomatoes. I used to hate the smell of tomatoes. But now it is such an only-in-summer kind of a scent that I just sit around and smell the tomato plants sometimes. Tomato and basil just go hand in hand.

Here in Colorado, the only time you get that humid, it just rained smell is in summer. And it is glorious. Rain on the asphalt. Rain on the dirt. Rain on the pine trees. I can't get enough of that smell. I love looking at the thunderheads- all the shapes they make and the colors they become in the evenings. Before evening they are wonderful too, with the deep incredible blue sky behind and their perfect white fluffiness just billowing out all over the place. At night they light up with the lighting inside of them like giant Chinese lanterns. That is something I do love. Here we get these crazy late afternoon rain showers when the light is that sort of golden color, and the air is at like 75 degrees. Those are very special afternoons.

Oh, and the strawberries! They don't smell good any other time of the year. Neither do the peaches, or apricots. What am I talking about, I can't even get peaches or apricots other times of the year. And if I can, it isn't worth it. Come to think of it, I bet a salad with strawberries, peaches and basil would be just heavenly.

I love wearing a bikini so I can feel the sunshine on my tummy. That feels so good. And I'll sit in all kinds of socially unacceptable poses in my own yard so I can get the feel of sunshine on other areas that don't normally get sun either. I love the sun. And being able to be out in it without clothes on.

I love love love being barefoot. My feet get wrecked, and my callouses drive me crazy when they scratch on my sheets at night, but man o man do I love to be barefoot, or flip-flopped.

It is so nice to have a reason to shave my legs. With a good new razor. And then walk around feeling my silky smooth legs brush against each other. In the warm air.

I do love eating outside. I need to plan it more before the mosquitoes and other nasties come out. Right now we are working hard on growing grass in the back yard, so it isn't a really great place to eat. I should take my little table somewhere that is nicer to be so that we can eat there and enjoy these incredible evenings.

I wish that Audry liked to eat anything so that we could have more picnics together. Maybe she will someday. I can't wait until the grass comes in in the back yard so that we will have a nice place to go play and hang out in the sun. I feel like I remember that from last summer, and it was super nice.