Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training

So today I kind of more seriously started with the potty training. Audry is only 20 months old, but she is showing most of the signs- interest in sitting on her potty, interest in watching us go potty, interest in emulating what we do. Understanding that certain things go in certain other places. She can communicate and understands what people are saying. She isn't so good at taking on and off her own clothes, but she is working on it and will be successful soon. Also, she really likes to wear her "big girl panties." She always asks for them. She calls them "bid" and usually requests them when I am dressing her. "No dirt, bid" (No skirt, big.).

I did the thing where you give the kid a drink of something sweet so they will drink a lot and set the timer for 10 minutes, then go sit on the potty. I also timed it after breakfast to try to catch the morning poo. We sat in the potty and sang her latest favorite song, the ABC's, over and over. We read an ABC book. We talked about going pee pee in the potty. I went potty and she watched me. I read and read that there shouldn't be frustration, it shouldn't be a fight, so when she got to where I couldn't convince her of any more reasons why she should stay on the potty or even in the bathroom, I didn't fight it.

Yesterday she was so excited about the potty, and she even successfully did a pee pee in the potty, along with a lot of farts. YAY! I was very encouraged about the whole thing- and went ahead to give it a serious go today.

Today, we went in there and hung out for several minutes, and each time she left the bathroom, within 3 minutes she went in her pants. Thankfully, with minimal mess on the floor thanks to the training pants with a little plastic liner. And she didn't tell me about it (like she normally does) and didn't want me to change her (like she normally does). Frustrating.

One time, she was standing in the bathroom next to the grown up potty and she peed all over the floor. I think we were both so surprised! I should have put her on her potty, but I was just so surprised to see her doing it.

Part of the problem is that she is used to standing while she potties. I think she finds it hard to sit and go instead. Of course, it is all a new place and a new activity. Another problem is that she is such a picky eater, she doesn't really like juice or sweet drinks THAT much. She likes them some, but prefers water. Ultimately, I am glad of this. It seems like the 10 minute timer doesn't really sync up with her bio rhythms either. Maybe we need 15 minutes?