Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What's for Dinner (Lamb Korma) & What Audry Ate 6/1/11 (French toast!)

Today we had Indian curry- one of my favorites! This is one of those things that I don't really know how to cook by myself from scratch. I fake it, so bear with me.

(I wish I had pictures to show you. I should try that sometime. The pictures make it all that much better! My cooking blog hero is Ree Drummond, The Pioneer woman at http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/ Check out her amazing cooking pix. Mouthwatering.)

I cooked a cup of jasmine or basmati or whatever kind of rice it is that I have in my pantry in a small saucepan.
I chopped up & started cooking a rather pungent shallot that made my eyes burn yet even after dinner. I cooked it in some olive oil.
Then I added a pound of ground lamb to brown. I would have preferred chunks of lamb, but I was too lazy to buy a million (OK 4) little lamb chops to debone. The ground lamb smelled awesome while cooking.
Next I chopped up some cauliflower and threw that in.
Then I added some Sukhi's Korma Curry Sauce (http://sukhis.com/products/home-chef/korma-curry-paste.php) and water, per the directions and let that all simmer while I went out in the backyard to help rescue Willy from Audry who was sabotaging his attempts to spread grass seeds.
Then I came back in and dumped all the grass seeds out of Audry's shoes.
I chopped up a tomato & threw that in there along with the cream, per the directions.
Oh yes, and at the last second, I popped some naan (http://stonefire.com/our-flatbreads/naan/garlic/) into the toaster oven to warm up.
We ate the curry over the rice, sopped up with the bread.

OK, actually I TRIED to eat it that way, but I was attempting to keep Audry from throwing her food all over the place, and then she suddenly became tired, fell off her chair, and wanted to sit on Mommy's lap, only Mommy, even though Daddy was done eating.

I had some good luck today with Audry. She ate French toast! I made it with that sprouted grain Ezekiel bread- the cinnamon raisin swirl one (http://www.foodforlife.com/our-products)? YUM! She ate a WHOLE piece of it. Amazing. And making that kind of bread into French toast really made it softer and generally easier to chew. Success! I felt good about breakfast.

I really think Audry is a breakfast kind of person. Except eggs.

She also ate a couple tablespoons of yogurt with mango & spinach puree that I basically had to force down her throat. But she ate it.
She ate some "bunny cookies."
She ate several (like 8 at a tsp each) peanut butter balls (creamy peanut butter & chocolate protein powder mixed together with honey).
Some pretzels.
I offered her a blender drink of vanilla protein, kefir, banana, blueberry, carrot, but she didn't really drink it (I think I should have left the blueberries out).
About an ounce of Gouda cheese.
One and a half "fruit suckers" (http://www.ellaskitchen.co.uk/apples-bananas-stage-1-baby-food/) she kind of loves these.

By the way, I am in no way being paid or encouraged to support any of the things I have supported here. It is just me liking and using those things.