Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Watermelon Sorbet with lemon & mint

It's hot. Like I've been happy when I can get the house to cool off to a mere 80F at night!
IN THE HOUSE.
Yucky.
At least it is this fabulous dry Colorado heat.
Anyway, I had some watermelon. I thought it would be good from the fridge but better frozen. So I made a sorbet.
MMMM. Watermelon sorbet.
Why had I never made this before?
First, I chopped up the watermelon.
Then I blended it to a puree in my handy dandy magical blender.
Mmmm. So foamy and pink. Whirr!
I put that in a measuring thingy, I think I made about 2 cups of watermelon. I had a LOT of watermelon left over. It all went in the freezer for next time.... oh yes, there will be a next time.
OK. Next I added a cup of simple syrup (basically dissolved sugar water).
And the juice of 2 lemons. Next time I would use only one lemon, but everyone said it was great how it was. So if you love lemons, go with 2.
Then I said, "Hey Charlotte," (Charlotte is visiting from France this summer) "do you think that mint would be good with watermelon?" and she said, "Yes." So I picked a bunch of mint leaves.
 Chopped 'em up and threw 'em in there with the rest of it.
Pretty! This made about 3 cups of liquid. I guessed that was about the capacity of my little ice cream machine, which is where I poured the whole shebang.
20 minutes later- kapow! Perfect way to beat the heat.
Audry couldn't get enough. Seriously. Why had I never made this before?