Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry

There are few things that are as easy and delicious and healthy as a quick beef & broccoli stir fry dinner, which is just one of the many dishes I've prepared recently.

First thing I did earlier in the day (and this could be done even 24 hours before), I marinated the beef. Mostly the marinade is soy sauce, but there's also a good helping of molasses, some sesame oil, garlic, green onion, and a dash of seasoned rice vinegar.
And the secret with the beef is slicing it while it is still mostly frozen. Slicing it against the grain will yield nice tender bites, but it's hard to get really thin when it is thawed.

Ok. So when it was time to cook, I chopped up the broccoli and red pepper. I love sweet peppers. I am apparently the only person in my household who likes them. Ah, well, more for me!

Some minced garlic in the pan with oil until it gets fragrant. I also threw in some ginger powder. Fresh is better, but you make what you got.

Add the beef & juices and cook on high heat until the beef is nearly done. Too bad I don't have a wok so I could do this the right way.

Add the veggies and cook until they're just crisp. By then the meat will be done. Again, too bad I don't have a wok.

Ta Da! Dinner in 10 minutes or less. What you don't see is me asking my guest, Charlotte, to cook the rice. Charlotte is from France, learning English and experiencing American culture at my house. She did a great job with the rice. I always burn it or make it crunchy in the middle. She said she hadn't ever had anything like this... but she liked it. Yay! Simple and delicious!