Monday, August 22, 2011

Strawberry Lavender Tartlet


I had a bunch of pie crust leftover from the tomato eggplant lamb pie. I don't usually have that much left over. Maybe I just rolled it really thin... or maybe I saved it accidentally on purpose? We will never know. But I knew I had strawberries in my fridge, and in spite of using up all of the cream on the lamb pie recipe, I decided to make a strawberry pie.

Ok, well a strawberry tartlet because I didn't have enough for a whole pie.
I found this recipe- and that was my inspiration.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/neelys-strawberry-pie-recipe/index.html

I washed and quartered the strawberries I had that needed to be eaten... today. Because that is how strawberries are.

I thought it would be interesting to compliment the strawberry with something. The mint in the watermelon sorbet was so interesting.
Balsamic? No. Not in my mood today.
Hmmm.....
There's all this lavander growing out with my chives and I keep wondering what to do with it aside from the obvious- throw a few sprigs in the bathwater.
Because I have SO MUCH time for baths these days, there's hardly any lavender left on the bush!
(Ha ha ha- just kidding. This is the first time I've picked any yet this summer.)
I picked some lavender.

Chopped it up.

Threw it in with the strawberries, along with a couple tablespoons of sugar, and a tablespoon of corn starch and a squeeze of lemon. Mmm. That looks yummy.

Here's my little tartlet dish getting the pie crust ready. I made like a little bowl with plenty of extra (less rolling of tops & bottoms for me!)

The berry mix goes in (along with some butter so it doesn't explode everywhere).

The lid gets closed.

I am looking for my pastry brush. Remember Where's Waldo? Can you spot it?
(Hint: under the pizza cutter)
Finally brushed with (yet more!) butter and sprinkled with sugar.

Baked at 400 (I find my oven cooks cool and at the higher altitude I prefer the warmer temperature for cooking) for 40 minutes. It could have actually gone for more if I wasn't impatient.
It came out toasty brown- and a little leaky of juices. Tart and yummy!
The lavender didn't exactly pop the way I was hoping that it would, but it added a nice subtle flavor. Perhaps it could have been complimented with a lavender whipped cream... if I had any cream left over. 

Oh, and incidentally, this is the summer storm that was happening outside while I was baking everything...
One more reason to love Colorado.