Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rosemary Chicken

The other day my mom called me to ask if I remembered the rosemary chicken recipe we made together some 10 years together.
Ummmmm.... no, but it sounds pretty awesome. And it just so happens that I am growing a new rosemary bush outside in the teeny little garden my chickens are so desperately trying to dig up for me. (So much for the peas!)
Here's a new (maybe?) take on the recipe. And wow. It was amazing. So mom, if your friend still wants the (or a) recipe...  here you go!
I boiled some penne pasta and tossed it with olive oil. Penne isn't my favorite shape, but it is what I had.

Next I gathered up some fresh rosemary, along with these yummy veggies!

Here's the pan getting hot with minced garlic, rosemary, olive oil, fresh ground pepper and some kosher salt until it all starts getting a little fragrant. You can see the chicken and vegetables that I prepped in the background.

Next I threw in the chicken and cooked that until it was starting to cook. Don't cook it all the way! Because it will continue to cook with the veggies, and we do NOT want dry stringy tasteless chicken. Doing it again, I might even add the mushrooms and chicken at the same time.

Here's when I added in the mushrooms and cooked that for a while. (You can see the tomato waiting patiently in the background. So patient, that tomato.) These mushrooms are quartered- a little larger than a slice, but when cooked right, they fairly explode with the flavor of the juices from cooking in rosemary and chicken. These could cook longer than I cooked them, but I was impatient.

Next I added in the asparagus, which has been chopped into bite sized pieces. It really should go in at the end so that it doesn't get mushy. (The tomato is still being patient)

When the asparagus was looking crisp and the chicken was looking cooked through, I added in the tomato. I only wanted it to get warm. (At last, your turn, tomato! I just didn't want to overcook you!) If you cook it for too long the skin starts to peel off and the tomatoes get pretty soft. I just like them hot and firm.
Um, yeah.

And at last, here it is. The saucy yummy deliciousness all poured over pasta.
The piece de resistance you ask? I was going to throw some kind of cheese on there, I was thinking feta would be good, but I knew I didn't have any, so parmesean romano was going to have to suffice but THEN I saw the last bit of chevre- soft goat cheese- and I crumbled that on top.
Hooooweee mama! Damn that was a good idea.

What is it about pasta and garlic and olive oil and cheese? It is some kind of heaven.
We ate until we kind of had to roll away from the table. Charlotte apologized for having thirds. No apologies necessary! I think I had fourths. And there was still plenty left over (except the cheese that we ate all up).