Thursday, January 26, 2012

Surprisingly yummy chorizo & quinoa soup

Last night I didn't know what to make for dinner. I didn't have a plan, but I had 1 lb of frozen pork chorizo in the fridge. I was babysitting a toddler (along with watching my own) so I didn't have a lot of time or free hands. I ended up making this soup:

Will & I both had 2 helpings and leftovers for lunch today. It was SO good. Doesn't it LOOK good?

I think I bought the chorizo one time because I thought it looked like it would be interesting for making tacos or burritos or something. This was better.

Ok. The ingredients.
Of course, this was just what I happened to have in my fridge that looked like it wanted to be eaten. Especially the zucchini. And the kale.

1lb ground pork chorizo, browned
1 can crushed tomatoes
3 stalks of curly green kale- chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 healthy scoop of Better Than Bullion vegetable base
3 cups of water
a bunch of fresh chopped basil (I have some growing in my kitchen)
about 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (This is also growing in my kitchen... why didn't I use fresh?)
a bay leaf
1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed

Basically, the short story is throw everything in the pot together, except the basil & quinoa. Let it come to a boil. Rinse the quinoa under cold water for a few minutes, then throw it in over a low boil for another 10 minutes.

Voila. REALLY AMAZING soup that's healthy too.

I am certain this could be done with other meat than the chorizo. But it did add plenty of spice and flavor.
Someone else might use 3 cups of broth of their choice, instead of the Better than Bullion & water.
I am pretty sure that other veggies could be added or subbed instead.

Wish I had more. I will for sure make this soup again.